Reconstructing WWI, WWII and Korean War Service Records

Unfortunately, service records aren't always available. After a fire in 1973, the majority of the service records from World War I until the early '70s for both the Army and the Army Air Corps were wholly destroyed.

The Information Is Still There!

There are a few records left. The records affected by the horrific fire included 80% of Army personnel discharged after November 1, 1912 to January 1, 1960 and 75% of the Air Force personnel with names alphabetically falling after Hubbard, James E. discharged from September 25, 1947 to January 1, 1964.

Fortunately, there's an extensive reconstruction process still underway even today to help give people access to these lost military files. The most essential information can be reconstructed through a number of different methods. The VA, or Department of Veterans Affairs, keeps records on those veterans whose military records were part of the fire. They also have records in the event a beneficiary filed any kind of claim before July 1973. Information about military service could also be found at a number of National Archive and Records Administration Facilities through forms like morning reports from units, payrolls, and even military orders. Additionally, some information is available in various state offices like the State Adjutants General.

Thanks to all of these alternate sources, the National Personnel Records Center (or NPRC) can often reconstruct quite a bit of a veteran's record including both his beginning and end dates of active service, his rank, any time he lost on active duty, the character of his service, and any time he spent in the hospital. Once they've done that, they can even issue a Certification of Military Service form, called an NA Form 13038, to replace the standard Separation from Active Duty Form DD-214 that would normally be in the military service records. It helps to establish benefit eligibility.

Get The Help You Need Now

Let us help you gain access to these essential files. Before we can get started, we need enough specific information to research a number of different sources. We'll need your veteran's full name used during the course of military service, as well as the branch in which he or she served. We need the approximate dates of service and his or her service number or social security number. It is also helpful to have the place of entry into the service, his or her last unit, and the place of discharge.

Military service records can provide you with such a wealth of information. Ask us today for a free quote. Please note that prices are calculated on both the type of research as well as the level of research necessary to the request.